The village of Vlahokerasia is located about 20 km south of the capital of Arcadia, Tripolis, and three kilometers from the national road that leads to the capital of Laconia, ancient Sparta. In accordance with the 2011 census, Vlahokerasia had 424 residents. In 1928, its population was 1600 residents. During the 1928-2011 period, there was a reduction of 80%. Undoubtedly, the principal factor accounting for this reduction was urbanization within the country and emigration to the overseas countries. A “census” of all Vlahokerasiotes, abroad and in Greece (1988-1992), conducted under the aegis of the Attica Vlahokerasiotes Association recorded 3,742 Vlahokerasiotes, of whom 42% lived in the Attica region (Athens Metropolitan Area), 20% abroad (U.S., Australia, and Canada), 20% in other towns and cities of Greece and 17% in the village of Vlahokerasia. The residents of Vlahokerasia were mainly senior citizens since the younger generation had taken the road of migration, either for abroad or for other cities within the country. As a result, there followed a shrinking of agricultural activities, traditional businesses and enrollments in the school of Vlahokerasia.
The Vlahokerasia Digital Museum Committee during a meeting at the offices of the Municipal Area of Skiritida (Vlahokerasia). Sitting, from the left, are Efstathios Chronis, Angelos Bistolas, Nikos Petropoulos and Anna Martinou. Standing, from the left, are Maria Kopitas and Aggeliki (Kiki) Katsafanas. Vlahokerasia, 21 August 2015. Missing from the picture is Angelike Kontogiannis (Contis), the 7th member of the Committee, omogenis from Vermont, New England, U.S.A. (Source of photo: Eleni Haritos, wife of Nikos D. Haritos, omogenis from Chicago).